Friday, March 10, 2017

Influence Knows No Season

Do you just have one of those phrases people use that just strikes you the wrong way? 

Recently someone told me that we weren't as close as we once were because we were in different seasons in our lives.  At the time, I agreed and we caught up on some superficial chit chat and went our separate ways.  The more I replayed the conversation over in my mind, the more I thought about being in "different seasons" and tried to figure out what season I was in and why that meant we weren't continuing to invest in each other. 

This encounter lead me to a couple realizations that pointed me to God's Word. 

First, we are always influencing the people around us whether we are aware of it or not.  I have only to look at the words and actions of my five year old son to see that he is influenced by me on a daily basis.  This influence know no season. 

Second, we get to choose how we want to use that influence.  Hebrews 10:24 says, "And let us be concerned about one another in order to promote love and good works."  As followers of Jesus Christ we are to point others to Him  We do this by truly caring about people and where they will spend eternity.  We show we care about our fellow sisters in Christ by pushing them to pursue holiness by bring obedient to the Word of God.

Third, our time of influence is limited to the days we have on earth.  Rather than excusing ourselves due to our current "season" of life, I believe we should be intentional with our impact by living out Ephesians 5: 15-16, "Pay careful attention, then, to how you walk- not as unwise people but as wise- making the most of the time, because the days are evil."  We must seek to invest ourselves in the lives of other, this requires effort and it is urgent for we do not know how many days we have left. 

So, I have determined that no matter what different seasons me and my dear sister may be in, it is not an excuse to neglect the powerful influence we can have on each another.  It just may mean that we have to work a little harder at it right now.  Now, I encourage each of  you to consider the people God has placed in your path and evaluate what kind of influence you are having in their lives.  Are you pointing them to Christ by how you live your life and what you say or are you neglecting the gift of influence you have been given?

Go forward and use to gift of influence you have been given sweet friends!
 
-Kristi

No comments:

Post a Comment