Friday, April 15, 2016

The Importance of Studying Scripture

I have shared about studying scripture before but thought it would be good to talk about it again. So much has changed in my life since I started blogging back in 2013. The importance of studying scripture has really been laid on my heart the past year. That is why I wanted to share with you. 


Study of Scripture is an important part in our daily walk with God. If we don't have God's Word in our hearts then we aren't fully equipped. It can be dangerous to live our lives from day to day not knowing what God expects and who He is.

I encourage you to set aside a time each day to dig into His Word and really focus on the scriptures.
If we apply and master God's Word we will never lose our way. Just like you study before you take a test the same thing apply to His Word. 



Here are a few ways that you can make studying scripture fun and easy as well as rewarding. 

1. Get a notebook- I like having a notebook or journal that is designated to my quiet time. It doesn't have to be fancy. It can just be a spiral notebook or tablet. 

2. S.O.A.P - I've talked about this before but my favorite method for studying scripture is using this method. It helps me focus on the verses and how to apply it to my life. 

S - stands for Scripture. You take a scripture verse and write it out. I usually use the one from the Bible app or just one of my favorite verses.

O - stands for Observation. Write down how you would explain this verse to someone in your own words. What is God saying in the verse?

A - stands for Application. How does this verse apply to your life right now? What does this verse mean to you? Just write down in your own words how you can apply what you read to your own life.

P - stands for Prayer. It's important to pray. Pray to God and ask Him to help you understand and hear His Word. Write out your prayer for the day.

3. Study with a friend - Sometimes its easier if you have a friend study with you. It keeps you accountable. It is always more fun to grow in your faith and learn the scriptures when you do it with a friend. I have a few friends that help me stay focused and check in on me from time to time to see how I am doing with my studying. 

I hope these get you started and help you as you continue to grow deeper in your faith and learn the scriptures. If you have anything you want to share on this subject feel free to comment below. I'd love to hear your ideas on studying scriptures. 

Blessings and Shalom,
Grace Mae <3 <3 <3 

1 comment:

  1. Bible Journaling is the new method I'm trying... I read every day, and about once a week I pick scripture to journal... Sometimes it is simply writing it using fun fonts, but mostly it involves me looking up ways to illustrate the idea of a word which gives me more time studying the scripture and the meaning... Plus I get to be artistic ��

    ReplyDelete